Send your first document out for signature
Mon, 15 Mar, 2021
The simplest way to send a document out for signature would be to upload an existing contract that you have, configure the required signature fields, and then send. The detailed steps involved are given below:
- Click the “Create New” button at the top of the screen and choose the “Create New Document” option.
- Choose any one of the supported file types from your computer or from your cloud drive. We support PDF, JPG, PNG and DOCX files but PDF is the preferred format so try to use that if possible. You can even drag files directly from your computer on to the dotted target area.
- Add more files if required, by following the same process outlined in the previous step.
- Add recipients that you would like to send the document for signature by filling in their name and email address. You can also add yourself as one of the recipients by clicking “Add me”.
- Select a role for each of the recipients.
- The most common role would be “Signer”, where the recipient has a field that they must fill in the document.
- A reviewer would view and approve the document but cannot have any fillable field.
- An in-person signer is someone who signs on a host machine. The signature request is sent to the host email address and then the host lets the signer sign on their device.
- You can also enable authentication so that a recipient would need to enter some verification code before signing the document.
- Enabling the email OTP option would require the signer to enter a 6-digit verification code for signing the document. BoldSign automatically sends the required verification code to their email as soon as they try to view the document. This would verify that the signer had access to their email address at the time of signing.
- The access code option lets you set your own verification code that the signer enters before signing. However, in this case, you must communicate the access code directly to the signer.
- There is also an option to send a private message to each specific signer.
- For documents with multiple recipients, you can choose to enable signing in a specified order.
- The recipient signing order is shown near their names and can be changed by dragging (the dotted grab handles) and dropping at the desired location or modifying the signing order numbers shown.
- You can add anyone who needs to be sent a copy of the signed document by adding their email address to the CC box.
- The document title lets you specify a unique title that will be used to identify this document within BoldSign. This name will also be specified in the signature request email that is sent to all the recipients.
- A default title is provided based on the file that you had uploaded earlier but you can always change it if required. It is a good practice to make sure that the document name given would uniquely identify this document.
- You can also optionally enter a message that will be seen by all recipients. This would be a good place to send any instructions related to this document that the signer needs to be aware of before signing.
- The document settings section lets you specify an expiry date for the document and enable automatic reminders to be sent to the recipients that they have not completed the document yet.
- We have completed the first step of the document preparation process and to proceed to the next step, click the “Next” button at the top right corner of the screen.
- You can drag and drop any required fields from the fields list on to the document surface and assign them to each of the signers.
- The label is a special type of field that lets you add some content in the document before it is sent for signature. Please note that this is not a field for the recipient to fill but is a field for the sender to fill before sending. It is as if this content was part of the document even before it was uploaded to BoldSign.
- You can click the “Send” button at the top right position to send the document out for signature or can click on the “Preview” to verify the details one more time before sending.
- That’s it, you have successfully sent out your first document for signature. You can then go to BoldSign’s dashboard to track the status of this document. You will be notified as the other recipients view or sign the document.